I’m in a good mood. I have energy today (Feb. 8/12 when I wrote this), which isn’t always the case lately. Had a good sleep last night, & have been managing to achieve more in the past 24 hours than usual, lately. The sun is shining, I’m out for a walk, & provided I lay off Facebook & avoid hearing all the awful news about the nuclear world (disasters current & possibly upcoming, nuclear waste & its ubiquitousness, disasters-in-the-making, leaky & falling-apart U.S. reactor stories), I can stay on a semi-even keel.
But I feel I have to rant a bit about a few things that are really bugging me.
- Our air is wildly, vastly polluted & becoming more so by the minute. This has serious health consequences & leads to early death for thousands of people every year!
- All of the planet’s bodies of water are filled with toxins of a bewildering variety of petrochemical/chemical & radioactive origin & the nuclear industry (that is a vital part of the military-industrial complex that really runs the planet) will not be happy until they have dumped even MORE poisons into every molecule of water & soil on the planet (the chemical/petrochemical industries are really no different).
- The crops we grow (& any animals we raise) for the food we eat must of course be grown/raised in soils now toxic with lead, chemicals & radioactive contamination. Even organic food (which I have long supported & will continue to pay extra for as an investment in my health) grows in soils heavily barraged with the aforementioned toxins.
- Climate change threatens EVERYTHING.
- AND, the rich get richer (& more powerful) & the poor get poorer (& the middle-class shrinks & mostly remains apathetic, silent & inactive in the face of ALL these things).
- AND economic & environmental collapses of all kinds are ever-more inevitable & racing toward us all with wicked fangs bared,
- AND most of us have conspired to allow the Pied Piper to put us to sleep, apparently,
- AND, Arrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh
I am SO annoyed (disgusted??) with the human race (& I know quite well that what we focus on expands, so I promise not to stay in this mood for long).
Some of my friends either admire me for the work I do (& have been doing for going on 23 years now) or think I’m a kook (bless them for never saying so to my face). Admittedly, I’m somewhat inclined to view some of the people I encounter routinely as having rather kooky ideas of how things work on Planet Earth, & what’s in store for us.
It’s 2012, people!!
I don’t think the world is going to suddenly “end” on December 21, 2012.
I do think, though, that there are things we need to kill off in ourselves & this rapacious, suicidal culture we call home.
Excess, for one thing.
- Attachment to our personal comforts
- Bowing to corporations & their greed & rapacious, heedless, destructive, Earth-destroying agenda
- Fiddling while Rome burns
- Fossil fuel extraction
- Me-me-me-me-me disease
- Selfishness & self-absorption
- Waste...of ALL kinds. Resources. People. Potential.
Okay. Gotta run.
(Glad I got that off my chest.)
I’ve got more to say. I’m cooking up a blog posting to be called ‘Comfort, Sin & Separation.’
Coming soon to a (janet’s) planet near you.
‘Quote of the day’ with this post: “I know what the greatest cure is: it is to give up, to relinquish, to surrender, so that our little hearts may beat in unison with the great heart of the world.” – Henry Miller
2 runners-up: “If we don’t fight hard enough for the things we stand for, at some point we have to recognize that we don’t really stand for them.” – Paul Wellstone
“Never separate the life you live from the words you speak.” – Paul Wellstone