One day in Toronto recently my spirits were kind of in the toilet, & the idea of “Epitaphs for Earthlings” sprang into my mind. I do try hard to keep my spirits up & not to think deeply despairing thoughts about the fate of the Earth & the fate of us poor dumb humans – but from time to time, I lose the battle, at least temporarily.
This was one of those times.
Anyway, here is my little list of short & snappy possible tombstone words that creatures from outer space might see if, one day, they’re taking a look at our dear (by then irreparably damaged & human-less) planet & wondering what the heck the 2-legged critters did to mess it all up so disastrously.
- ATOMIC IDIOTS
- BIG, DUMB EGOS
- FEAR-BASED CULTURE: FAILURE WAS INEVITABLE!
- GREED GOT ‘EM
- KILLED BY THE MORE-MORE-MORE DISEASE
- MORONIC MINDS
- NEVER QUITE GREW UP, DID THEY?
- OH, THE DRAMA! (THEY DID LOVE THEIR DRAMAS!!)
- PATRIARCHY: WHAT A LEGACY!
- PRIVATE PROPERTY: AN UTTER DISASTER!
- SMARTS...BUT SO LITTLE WISDOM
- TECHNOLOGICAL OPTIMISM. OOPS!
- TERMINAL SELF-ABSORPTION DISEASE
- THEY LOST THEIR TRIBE
- THINGS, THINGS & MORE THINGS… MY, HOW THEY LOVED THEIR THINGS!
- TOO BUSY TO SAVE THEMSELVES!
- TOO MUCH HUBRIS, NOT ENOUGH HUMILITY
- TOO STUPID (& THEY THOUGHT THEY WERE SO SMART!?)
- UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES...
- WASTE: OMG THE WASTE!!
- WTF WTF WTF???
p.s. Being “down in the dumps” is a bit epidemic right now, I think. There’s no point pretending things aren’t in a horrific mess; they are! But I can’t see much point in wallowing in misery. Hence, my 3 recent postings aimed at generating laughter – here, here & here
'Quote of the Day' with this post: “More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair & utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction. Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.” – Woody Allen