<News Release from July 12th 2010> by Guy Dauncey, Earthfuture. The full 16-page illustrated paper can be downloaded (free) from <http://www.earthfuture.com> Guy Dauncey has worked in the climate solutions field for 20 years as an independent speaker, consultant and organizer. He is author of Stormy Weather: 101 Solutions to Global Climate Change (2001) and The Climate Challenge: 101 Solutions to Global Warming <http://www.earthfuture.com/theclimatechallenge/> (2009). He is President of the BC Sustainable Energy Association <http://www.bcsea.org>
This new publication contains his considered thoughts about ways to pull the climate movement out of the post-Copenhagen impasse and ennui, and re-energize the world with a sense of progress. Executive Summary Following the failure of the 2009 Copenhagen climate talks, and continuing difficulties in persuading the world’s nations to sign onto an effective new treaty to replace the Kyoto Protocol, fresh ideas are needed to explore new ways forward. This paper offers seven such ideas.
- Change the Story to reflect an inspiring vision of a positive green future, not just an absence of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Integrate the Issues to create a clear linkage between the solutions to climate change, the Gulf oil spill, air pollution, energy insecurity, energy poverty, peak oil, job creation, and the many benefits of clean energy and sustainable transport.
- Break Open the Kyoto Basket, forging separate treaties to address black carbon, methane, and the F gases. Base the IPCC’s future fossil fuel assumptions on geology, not economic forecasting, and integrate the data around climate change and peak oil.
- Launch a Series of Global Solutions Treaties to accelerate the solutions as well as working to mitigate the problem.
- Create Descriptive Models of a Future Green World that can inspire and motivate.
- Communicate with the Public more clearly.
- Organize! We need new organization on six levels to help us organize for success:
✦ A Global Ecological Alliance of nations willing to take leadership on the issues ✦ A Global Alliance of Cities, Businesses and Organizations, uniting the efforts being made by sub-national groups around the world ✦ A Green Wikipedia ✦ Community-based Green Portals ✦ A Climate Solutions 101 on-line course ✦ A Climate Deniers Push-Back Network.
Guy Dauncey www.earthfuture.com <http://www.earthfuture.com>
President, BC Sustainable Energy Association <http://www.bcsea.org/> Author of The Climate Challenge: 101 Solutions to Global Warming <http://www.earthfuture.com/theclimatechallenge/> Follow Guy Dauncey on Twitter <https://twitter.com/GuyDauncey> Victoria, B.C., Canada (250) 881-1304.