** & one thing about it I don't…
I love public transportation because:
- It is soooooooo much better for the planet than all those damn cars.(1) Yes, I am myself a car owner – I have a small, fuel-efficient vehicle that I leave at home or in a GO parking lot whenever I can.
- Travelling on buses or trains is so much less stressful than driving on our increasingly congested & dangerous highways.
- In cities, having a car to look after is about as much fun as having a gigantic albatross around one’s neck.
- When I ride the GO bus or train (I live in Ontario, Canada & often travel to Toronto, our biggest city), I can read & write & think & breathe…
- I feel so much better about myself when I use public transportation. I just do…
The major thing I dislike about public transportation is its cost. It invariably costs me more (& remember, I live on a very low income) to take buses or trains than to drive my car. This really doesn’t make any sense at all, does it??
If only our governments would subsidize public transportation the way they do all those polluting industries owned by their corporate buddies. (I recall the phrase “corporate welfare bums” & think it’s time for it to be resurrected!)
Fiddlesticks, I say!! (I am being very, very polite…)
P.S. I honestly think there are a lot of people who don’t take public transportation because they think they are too darn good for it. Of course no one will admit to that – but I honestly think it’s true. Shame on our human snobbery & hypocrisy!
P.P.S. Flying isn’t any too good for the planet either. Read a 2006 George Monbiot column entitled ‘We are all killers’ here
(1) I used to have a Greenpeace bumper sticker that said ““WARNING: This vehicle emits Carbon Dioxide, Carbon Monoxide, Nitrogen Oxides, Sulphur Dioxide, VOCs, Benzene, Aldehydes and Methane. Causes respiratory disease, cancer, smog and Global Warming! ESPECIALLY HARMFUL TO CHILDREN.”