I keep hearing this Trump quote: “Our country is in trouble.” & I think, yeah
The US of A is in trouble, alright. It’s been in trouble for a very long time, but maybe Mr. Donald is unaware of
- the centuries of racism & attempted genocide of indigenous populations
- the exploitation & oppression of “minorities” yesterday today & tomorrow
- the scourge of slavery & racism & their horrific ongoing aftermath past present & future
- the violent ongoing horrific rape of the Earth decimating the air, the water, the very soils our food is grown in, the very bodies of the sweet babies now born into the Earth pre-polluted (babies born pre-polluted!!)
& maybe nobody told him about
- all the guns & the violence & the persistent insistence on maintaining an entire culture that indulges in, encourages, pretty much deifies & certainly glorifies violence
- exploitation & rape of people & the Earth both at home & abroad
- decade after decade of sick, secret, violent imperialism
- century after century of the 1% riding violently unapologetically roughshod over the 99
- violence guns & war war war?
Mr. Trump says there’s a problem with “immigration.”
I guess he thinks brown or black people are to blame? The folks who worship a god a little different from the one we (I am not one of the royal “we) “worship”? (Well, maybe not worship, exactly ... but pay a very great deal of lip service to. Money is the real God in North America. Come on, Donald; everybody knows this, no one better than you!)
I’m betting too maybe nobody told him about the hegemony of the military-industrial complex, either. Which is all about arms & money & power, & it’s all about war, & it always has been. & all our governments being utterly utterly utterly in thrall to the military-industrial complex? Where the tail wags the dog, & has for a very very long time now? Not the other way around?
& maybe someone forgot to tell him also that we’re a few too many on the planet, these daze, & our needs voracious & abiding & bottomless … simply endless – especially those of the 1%, but goodness me we middle-class types are none too shabby either in our habits of consumption, hmmm? Greed & Consumption ‘R Us, pretty much. Privileges & entitlements up the yin-yang for many of us. Poverty, violence & oppression for a million more. Millions more…
But sure, Mr. Trump.
The “problem” is people whose skin isn’t the same colour as “ours,” whose “god” is different than “ours.”
Sure sure sure sure sure thing.
If you say so.
'Quote of the day' with this post: “Energy always flows either toward hope, community, love, generosity, mutual recognition, and spiritual aliveness or it flows toward despair, cynicism, fear that there is not enough, paranoia about the intentions of others, and a desire to control.” ~ Michael Lerner, quoted in The Great Turning – From Empire to Earth Community, by David Korten
Couple spare quotes:
“Government is the Entertainment Division of the military-industrial complex.” – Frank Zappa
“It’s antithetical to the definition of power in this culture that a person might derive power by service rather than control, but that’s the essence of midwifery.” – Elizabeth Davis, Heart & Hands: A Midwife’s Guide to Pregnancy and Birth, quoted in Rob Brezsny’s Pronoia
“Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one.” – Benjamin Franklin, American statesman (1706-90) (more quotes about happiness here )
“It is possible to be a great scoundrel without ever doing anything that is forbidden.” – Herman Hesse, German-Swiss author (1877-1962)