<Sept. 17/15> This is a phrase that came into my mind on yesterday’s walk.
(I have a very busy mind – ‘though I do also gawk gratefully at & drink in trees & birds, waves & sky, lake & dogs, beach & squirrels, while out on my walks.)
So what was THEN?
- Belief that we could “sort it out” planetary/environmental crisis-wise; stubborn problems in certain relationships-wise, etc.
Now? It is what it is.
We tried! :) (well, we sorta tried)
Day at a time day at a time day at a time.
- People will change! Naïve hope/optimism/wish/dream/delusion
Now? Oh well. Oops. Seems people don’t change. Not quickly enough, at any rate.
Too late. Too late too late too late.
- Our “leaders” can be persuaded.
Now? Oops. Guess not. :(
Too late too late too late.
- We live in a “democracy.”
Now? It never was. Never ever ever was.
- Recycling, composting, reducing our personal carbon footprint: all that jazz? I could “make a difference” & change the world.
Now? Well. I still do all that stuff. (Good habits are hard to break, you know.) But I know damn well none of that stuff can make a difference with this many people on the planet & this much deep ground-in destruction & the fierce momentum it’s all barrelling along at. It always was too late; the too-lateness goes back generations & 1000s of years. “Civilization,” eh??? As if.
- There are people “in charge” “looking out for us” & “minding the store.”
Now? They never were. Never ever ever ever ever, not ever. :(
- Plans. Made lots of ‘em. Believed in them. Expected them to come to pass. Routines, too. Thought they were great. Thought I thrived on them.
Now? Not anymore. No sir. Can’t abide them, & won’t. Don’t have to, anymore!
- Thought I “needed” a man.
Now? What for? Not any more.
- Took far too much for granted.
Now? Not any more!
(wrote this last part on a bench by the lake – blown away by the richness of life; the preciousness & privilege of it; gratitude abounds! :) )
- Thought my life was all about me.
Now? Not anymore! Nosirree Bob, & you know what? It never really was.
Silly silly silly me.
* Gobs of quotes here in gobs of categories!
* Stuff about NTE (near-term extinction) here, also in a variety of different categories.