Truth is, I gave up on the HR (human race) a pretty long time ago now. Even before Irene died, to tell you the truth. (You know what? I don't feel like explaining that. & since this is my blog. I don't have to explain a darn thing I don't feel like explaining. :) :) )
Anyway. In April 2011 I posted my first version of 'Epitaphs for Earthlings.'
This is a re-post, with a few additions.
Here is part of the introduction I offered in April 2011 when it was first posted:
"..here is my little list of short & snappy possible tombstone words that creatures from outer space might see if, one day, they’re taking a look at our dear (by then irreparably damaged & human-less) planet & wondering what the heck the 2-legged critters did to mess it all up so disastrously."
- ANGER / GREED / VIOLENCE: deadly human addictions
- ATOMIC IDIOTS (thought they could "crack the atom" & survive. Really???)
- BIG, DUMB EGOS
- EGO: this alone did them in (Male ego? DISASTROUS!)
- FEAR-BASED CULTURE: FAILURE INEVITABLE!
- GREED GOT ‘EM
- HUBRIS: THIS THEY HAD IN SPADES!
- HUMILITY: not so much...
- INEQUITY CENTRAL: WHAT HUMAN CULTURE BECAME
- INSANITY: rampant, insufficiently understood; another killer
- KILLED BY THE MORE-MORE-MORE DISEASE
- MIDDLE-CLASS COMPLACENCY: KILLER VIRUS!! :( :(
- MORONIC MINDS
- NEVER QUITE GREW UP, DID THEY??
- OH, THE DRAMA! (HOW THEY LOVED THEIR DRAMAS!!)
- PATRIARCHY: WHAT A LEGACY!
- PRIVATE PROPERTY: UTTER DISASTER!
- RAPE & PILLAGE: raised to dizzying heights of achievement
- SMARTS... SO LITTLE WISDOM
- STRANGLED BY STUPIDITY (MY, BUT THESE CREATURES WERE STUPID!!!!)
- TECHNOLOGY, alas, did not / could not "save" them
- TERMINAL SELF-ABSORPTION DISEASE
- THEY LOST THEIR TRIBE(S)
- THINGS, THINGS & MORE THINGS… HOW THEY LOVED THEIR THINGS!
- TOO (DAMN) BUSY TO SAVE THEMSELVES!
- UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES. SO MANY unintended consequences...
- WASTE ... THE WASTE: OMG THE WASTE!!
- WTF WTF WTF??? What the HELL were these creatures thinking????????
Original 'Quote of the day' picked to accompany this post: “Your insightful feature was titled “How We Can Save It.” This is too optimistic. It should have been phrased as a question – “Can We Save It?” – the answer to which is “no.” The multitudes will not voluntarily make the personal sacrifices needed for the environment until they are choking to death from such disregard, and by then it will be too late. Don’t get me wrong. I’m in this battle to the end, but I fully expect it to come to that.” – A letter to Greenpeace magazine by Louis Philips, Albany, New York, in the May/June 1990 issue
But later decided to switch to this one instead:
“Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.” – from the Talmud
(I suppose that quotation explains why, in the face of what I see as our certain & perhaps not-very-distant extinction as a species, I continue to be an activist... :) )
** Near-term extinction NTE / NTHE section on this blog: hover over the heading at top left on blog's main page [this section does not exist on the current blog site] to see the postings about near-term extinction. Most recent posting = 'End of the World Stuff'