- Stop putting people up on pedestals. It’s a waste of your energy & they’re always just going to fall off the damn thing anyway. Besides, you yourself are smarter/way more okay than you give yourself credit for!
- Know this: arrogant people are insecure underneath; the arrogance is just a mask. Otherwise, why would anyone need to be arrogant??
- The world’s insanity is ramping up by the day. You need to try & keep your head while all around you it gets crazier & crazier & crazier (to paraphrase that great Rudyard Kipling poem I memorized in Grade 5).
- Keep your ego out of the game. I mean it. It just gets in the way, & it’s going to wind up tripping you up over & over & over again.
- Find your tribe! We all need peeps. We really, really, really do. :)
p.s. also, be thankful, be crazily thankful for all the goodness in your life, & in the world. You’d be amazed at what being actively grateful can do for your sanity! Go for walks … sing (music is soooooo healing). Choose joy!
p.p.s. 3 weeks later: a 6th item:
6. Don't assume you know what anyone else is thinking. Wars are fought over this nonsense of thinking we can know the contents of another person's mind. That person you see who is frowning/looking sad/looking angry? It very likely has nothing whatsoever to do with you. S/he is very likely dealing with her/his own inner demons, inner party, inner challenges, inner neuroses ... whatever. I think many of us make legions of mistakes assuming we know what's going on in someone else's mind. Let it go!
'Quote of the day' with this post: "What is to give light must endure burning." – Victor Frankl
“Only connect. This is how we make meaning. This is how we learn to think as Nature thinks.” – Gregory Bateson, anthropologist (quotes about community here)
“At this point in history, the most radical, pervasive, and earth-shaking transformation would occur simply if everybody truly evolved to a mature, rational, and responsible ego, capable of freely participating in the open exchange of mutual self-esteem. Then, there would be a real New Age.” ~ Ken Wilber
“How to get rid of ego as dictator and turn it into messenger and servant and scout to be in your service is the trick.” – Joseph Campbell [more JC quotes]
“Hoard each joyous moment that comes to you. No one knows how it will all end.” – Háfiz
“…the goal of all spiritual life is to get your ego out of the way – outwit the sucker; dissolve it; shoot it; kill it. Silence the incessant planning, organizing, running, manipulating, possessing, and processing”… “because these activities preclude awareness of the Divine.” – Rabbi Lawrence Kushner in his book I’m God, You’re Not (reviewed in Tikkun Magazine, Winter 2011 issue, their 25th anniversary issue Theme: Transforming the World)