Here are some of the things I did not know when I became a parent, 36 or so years ago now:
- I downloaded my lifetime load of lead to my fetus, my daughter, in the womb
- I also “donated” my mercury & dioxin in utero & also via the breast milk that fed my babies (for the record, Kid # 1 gets the worst, heaviest load)
*** to be clear here, I didn’t know I HAD any lead or mercury or dioxins in me; that my dental fillings were toxic & were releasing toxins (still are, I gather!), that the solution I had used for my contact lenses had mercury (thimerosal) in it, in those days [[mercury is STILL lurking!]] … I didn’t know ANY of this.
I did not know about
- endocrine disruptors/disruption (known to some as "gender-benders")
- toxins in food, plastics, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets, make-up, personal care products (etc.)
- lead in my lipstick (luckily, I’ve mostly not been a lipstick-wearer!)
- ozone layer damage/depletion
- vaccine contents & their related health risks/consequences (great resource here!)
- allergies / asthma / autism / learning disabilities / ADHD / childhood cancer / what actually causes “SIDS”
- flame retardants (in babies’ mattresses, etc.)
- overuse of antibiotics & the impacts on our health
- aluminum in baking soda, deodorant, pots … our air & water ... & vaccines (& related health consequences)
… & many other things, no doubt, far too numerous to mention.
I thought doctors were gods! If they said “Jump” (or take antibiotics, or roll up your sleeve, or my kids’ sleeves, for vaccinations) I said “Sure, Doc. When can I come down?”
The supreme irony of those "well baby visits!?" OMG! You take in a baby who is perfectly, utterly healthy and well, the way Nature (God if you prefer) made her. The doctor shoots her up with a needle full of toxins! So much for the well baby!? OMG! ((New to this issue? Please read 'Vaccines: FAQs' ))
I thought politicians & bureaucrats worked for the common good
& that if problems developed
(as the years went by, problems became apparent, hmmm?
Polluted water, a kid with allergies, pesticides in the well water very likely??)
the “folks in charge” would be motivated to fix things – promptly!
(I didn’t mind helping! Activism was a bug I caught early on)
But oh … how naïve I was.
- doctors; the whole “health care” system
- the legal system? (well – I kinda caught onto that one early-ish, having worked in the federal “correctional” system as a young woman; it has been many decades since I have referred to it as the justice system; precious little justice involved...)
- politicians; the whole political system
- religion; how man-made “organized” religions involve hierarchy, patriarchy – often hubris, lying, greed ... & other assorted nasties (as we all now know)
- the educational system: I thought it was the bee’s knees!
Over the years & decades
I/we’ve all learned more, gradually
… about this brand of pollution, & that (so many, so very very many of them!?)
About corporations that actually run our governments – not the other way around
So-called “regulatory agencies” in our government bureaucracies that really run for the benefit of Big Business (e.g. the PMRA – Pest Management Regulatory Agency; the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission; heck, most health departments & Health Canada!)
& so on, & so on & so on
Arriving pretty late at the learnings about Big Pharma ... since I myself have never been much of a consumer of pharmaceuticals… though I certainly dosed my kids with too many antibiotics, not knowing they should be avoided; &, of course, not even cluing in that vaccines - of course! - come from the pharmaceutical industry!? Oh help…
& only gradually evolving into a very (very) critical consumer of what the conventional medical system was/still is selling (learning more & more, as time went on, to listen less & less, like a religion or religious dogma I gradually lost faith in, over the years).
Took me ages, decades, to connect all those dots I so badly needed to connect
(but it wasn't just me in this failure to connect them, hmmm?)
To finally grasp some overarching things
Like patriarchy (what a sickening scourge that has been … still is.Look around!)
How corporations have an utter stranglehold over our society & the supposed “lawmakers” & politicians
The military-industrial complex; yikes!
Galling, all of it, simply completely, utterly, totally appalling, galling & sickening.
So as the years have gone their merry way
I’ve gradually gradually (maybe not always gradually?)
detoured off onto my own path, an alternative path
But always in the company of friends, colleagues, fellow activists
Learning from them … working with them … changing the world with them (well, we sure do try, anyway)… having fun with them!
Things I’d Do Differently, if I had it to do all over again
- Learn about detoxifying my body of heavy metals (early on...)
- Go to a midwife instead of a doctor
- Give birth at home (for sure, somewhere other than a hospital; this!)
- No vaccines for my babies/children (no Vitamin K at birth; never knew anything about this until 36 years later!?; no others … not ever. Many many vaccine postings on this blog - on the blog's main page there is a very long list / section; please check it out!)
- No antibiotics unless absolutely necessary to save life
- Find a good naturopath or homeopath or chiropractor or osteopath or some combination of the above … skipping the G.P. routine altogether (unless there’s a decent one around who is not owned by the pharmaceutical industry, & good luck with that!)
- Consider home-schooling my kids
- Organic food (GMO-free) all the way
- Good water purification system
- Ignore admonitions to use sunscreen (we need Vitamin D; sunscreens are full of toxic, carcinogenic crap; bad for us, bad for our water bodies to boot! We can avoid sunburns by using clothing to cover our bodies: long sleeves, hats on our heads)
- No mammograms
- No colonoscopies
Of course, if I’d gone that far sideways decades sooner, my divorce would’ve happened that much sooner!
But hey! We don’t get to do it all over again anyway!
So there you go.
Just doing a little truth-telling, painful as it sometimes is…
By Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., World Mercury Project
October 30, 2017 9:06 pm Last Updated: October 30, 2017 10:59 pm
Heavy Metals Toxicity and the Environment (from the U.S. National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health)
"Because of their high degree of toxicity, arsenic, cadmium, chromium, lead, and mercury rank among the priority metals that are of public health significance. These metallic elements are considered systemic toxicants that are known to induce multiple organ damage, even at lower levels of exposure. They are also classified as human carcinogens (known or probable) according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer. This review provides an analysis of their environmental occurrence, production and use, potential for human exposure, and molecular mechanisms of toxicity, genotoxicity, and carcinogenicity."
“I do not want to talk about what you understand about this world. I want to know what you will do about it. I do not want to know what you hope. I want to know what you will work for. I do not want your sympathy for the needs of humanity. I want your muscle.” ~ Robert Fulghum
“If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are people who want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the roar of its many waters. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did, and it never will.” – Frederick Douglass, Canandaigua, N.Y. 3, Aug. 1857
“Anything else you’re interested in is not going to happen if you can’t breathe the air and drink the water. Don’t sit this one out. Do something.” – Carl Sagan, astronomer (1934 – 1996).
“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” – Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
“For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie – deliberate, contrived, and dishonest – but the myth – persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Too often we hold fast to the clichés of our forbears. We subject all facts to a prefabricated set of interpretations. We enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.” – John F. Kennedy