So. Mr. Donald Freaking Trump was elected
The other day (now last week)
(well, duh, eh??)
& everyone is all
“OMG. The Apocalypse cometh!”
& I’m like
“Yeah, well sure, the Apocalypse cometh alright.
But let’s just be perfectly 100% honest here, shall we?
The freaking apocalypse has been roaring down the f-ing highway
You could see the spittle on its face
Long before Mr. Freaking Disaster Trump
Ms. Hillary Clinton is a very good friend
of the Apocalypse
& if you think she could have forestalled the impacts of
- decades, nay centuries, of social & racial & income inequalities
- social divisiveness (see above)
- the violence of slavery & genocidal behaviour to indigenous cultures
- the kowtowing to vilely corrupt bankers & corporations
- air pollution
- ocean acidification & its many horrifying impacts
- the devastation of the ocean’s coral reefs
- the decimation of the ocean’s plankton
- the warming of the oceans
- the disappearance & decrease & sicknesses in the ocean’s creatures
- & the shredded ozone layer
- the military madness (its impacts on every square inch of this planet)
- Guns/weapons proliferation
- “simple” intolerance & bigotry & racism
- white notions of superiority
- & middle-class complacency & apathy & notions of privilege & entitlements
- fracking-induced earthquakes
- methane blow-offs here, there & everywhere
- climate “disruption” the likes of which we have likely not yet begun to imagine
- nuclear madness of a 100 horrible kinds
- radioactivity & radioactive waste strewn all over our lovely, once-pristine planet
- the rape & deforestation of the Earth’s incomparable forests, & the “simple” widespread death of trees everywhere, from ozone depletion/pollution of myriad kinds
- the 1%’s long & apparently beloved project to run roughshod over all people everywhere & the entire planet, exploiting the 99% as slaves, dupes, suckers & … “consumers” of their sick, polluting, toxic products
- & any & all miscellaneous forms of rape, pollution & mayhem I may have inadvertently forgotten to mention here (so sorry for my thoughtless lapses of memory but this kind of list leaves one feeling a little sick)
((& oh, yes, oh yes, there are many many many more (tons more) sickening, heartbreaking things I have forgotten/neglected to mention
I have not even named Patriarchy! Woeful, slick, evil scourge that it is, has been, will continue to be…))
If you think Ms. Clinton could have “saved us” from all this
Then you just haven’t been paying attention!
The Apocalypse cometh
It would be cometh-ing, still
Had Ms. Clinton
(the lady, using the term very loosely indeed
who, from what I understand, has much blood on her hands, & is up to her eyeballs in corruption & collusion of all kinds)
been given the keys to the so-called
So, listen up, get a grip everyone!
You’d best get out & walk
- & sing
- & be with friends & loved ones
- & drink beer maybe (if you like beer, that is, only if you like beer!)
- & read books
- & be grateful – very grateful indeed!!
For life ... for Life (life is a gift, not a right!)
Every single day that we have it
& for heaven’s sake
Do some good in the world, will you please?
Enough of all the armchair quarterbacking
that nice, lovely, neat, safe armchair quarterbacking
all the while keeping your hands so nice & squeaky clean, hmmmm?
Get your hands dirty
Will you please??
We need all hands on deck
As this ship goes down
(she’s goin’ down, make no mistake about that)
Dirty hands, mind you, not clean ones.
is for everyone!
PULLESE don’t stoop to blaming all the shit on the Donald
Our species has been attending this party
For a very very long time now.
Yes we have.
All our favourite human weaknesses, frailties, neuroses … & evils
Have been at this crazy, crazy, crazy party
For ever so, ever so long now.
The Apocalypse cometh alright.
Let us greet it, shall we?
With dirty, busy hands & feet.
p.s. yes, I'm a little pissed lately. Sorry about that.
p.p.s. months later, on April 20th to be precise, here is an interesting 5-minute rant on how bad Trump is proving to be. Real bad.
Quotes that spring to mind:
“Be joyful, though you have considered the facts.” – Wendell Berry's wise advice
“You must locate your deepest private feelings – philosophical, religious, spiritual – and then decide to live out these beliefs in a commensurate way, in public, as much as possible without compromise.” – Marv Davidov, peace activist (quoted in Nukewatch Quarterly, Spring 2012 issue)
“Everybody knows that the dice are loaded; everybody rolls with their fingers crossed. Everybody knows the war is over. Everybody knows the good guys lost.” – Leonard Cohen song ‘Everybody knows’
The 13th century Sufi mystic & poet Rumi said: “Just sit down and be quiet. You are drunk, and this is the edge of the roof.”
“Thomas Merton, the Trappist monk and social activist, once said that as he grew older he came to understand that it was not ideas that change the world but simple gestures of love given to the people around you, and often to those you feel most at odds with. He said that in order to save the world you must serve the people in your life. ‘You gradually struggle less and less for an idea,’ Merton wrote, ‘and more and more for specific people. In the end, it is the reality of personal relationship that saves everything.’” – from Broken Open – How Difficult Times Can Help Us Grow, by Elizabeth Lesser
“The world is too dangerous for anything but truth, and too small for anything but love.” – William Sloane Coffin
“Do not cease to drink beer, to eat, to intoxicate thyself, to make love, and to celebrate the good days.” – Egyptian proverb [found on the wall of a certain drinking establishment where I was … um … drinking beer & eating] – Sept. 8/16.
“I can say that it is time now to play ‘the end of the world’ symphony. I don’t know what instrument you hold, but you need to play it as best as you can, & find your place in the score. You don’t have to play a solo here. But this is our task now.” – Dr. Sandra Steingraber, in a 2013 interview with Bill Moyers
“Activism is the rent I pay for living on this planet.” – Alice Walker
“The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.” – Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
“Nothing is more powerful than an individual acting out of his conscience, thus helping to bring the collective conscience to life.” ~ Norman Cousins
“Where there is ruin, there is hope for a treasure.” ― Rumi