This is my new favourite soup! Soooo delicious. 🙂
Red Lentil Soup
1 ½ Tbsp. olive oil
1 large onion
3 garlic cloves
1 ¼ tsp cumin
½ tsp tumeric
½ tsp cayenne (1/4 maybe; when I made it full bore, it was too spicy for my taste)
½ tsp salt
½ cup tomatoes, diced (I used canned, since tomatoes at this time of year taste like cardboard)
1 cup dried rinsed red lentils
4 cups water
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
3 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
1 cup spinach, chopped
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
Saute onion in a soup pot.
Add garlic, cumin, tumeric, cayenne & salt.
Cook for 2 minutes.
Add lentils, water & broth & tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium & simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Add carrots & celery. Cook for 5 more minutes (or maybe a bit longer).
Add chopped spinach.
Serve garnished with parsley (or not. Works either way, to be sure)
** Freezes well.
** There are several other soup recipes in the Collections posting, under S for Soup. (They’re all pretty simple & quick. & hearty. & delicious! 🙂🙂)
2 – 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine (I use olive oil)
7 medium carrots, peeled & sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled & chopped
1 tsp. dried thyme
5 cups chicken or vegetable broth (I use vegetable bouillon)
½ cup cream or milk (I use rice or almond milk)
Salt & pepper
1. Melt butter (oil if you prefer) in saucepan.
2. Add carrots, onion, potato & thyme. Cook, stirring, 10 minutes.
3. Add stock & cook, covered, until vegetables are tender (about 15 minutes).
4. Process soup in blender or food processor ‘till smooth.
5. Return to pot, stir in cream (or milk) & heat through.
6. Season with salt & pepper.
7. Serve with croutons (if desired. I never desire this myself, personally.)
Yield: 6 servings