This posting provides links for a # of topics I've written about more than once over the years. Handy for me to have these items in one easy-to-find location...
Note: some of the links in old postings still work (I've done a little bit of work on that); many/most do not. Apologies for the inconvenience! (It IS hugely inconvenient, believe me, I know!)
- Why Am I an Activist? (1) <March 2009>
- Why Am I an Activist? (2) <July 2009>
- Protests Are Celebrations! <July 2010>
- Why I Love Activists/Activism <March 2011>
- Activism Rocks! <June 2013>
- Quotes about Action & Protesting
Belonging, Boxes & Circles
- Belonging: ABC Re-learning time <March 2009>
- Circles (& boxes). Magic (& Magic Lost!) <March 2010>
- Crosses, Circles, Resurrection <Jan. 2012>
- Alien Nation <Dec. 2012>
- Boxes, Edges, Belonging <March 2016>
I did quite a # of postings about canoe trips on my original blog site, over the years. I pulled a lot of them together & put them in a collection in this posting, last year.
The posting Christmas 2016 has links to some of my Christmas postings over the years.
- Control Freaks Anonymous <March 2009>
- Ditching the 2 x 4's <April 2009>
- Why we are control freaks (I think) <July 2009>
Funny Stuff ('cos we all need a laugh now & again, hmmmm???)
- Centipedes I have known <Nov. 2014>
- Centipedes: How to Rassle ‘Em <May 2015>
- Funny - a bunch of funny graphics <January 2017>
- Funny Stuff (online) <May 2011>
- Funny Books/Writers <May 2011>
- Funny Stuff — a few good jokes <May 2011>
Gratitude! a whack of postings & great quotations here
- Lead 101: 20 Things You Need To Know <Jan. 2011>
- Lead: Resources <Jan. 2011>
- Lead 101: Things You Can DO <Jan. 2011>
- Lead 101: Post # 4 - More Facts <Jan. 2011>
- Lead 101: Nukes & Lead - 10 things <Jan. 2011>
- Lead in the News <Feb. 2011>
- Lead Poisoning Awareness Training <July 2011>
- Lead Resolution <Aug. 2011>
- Lead & Crime - latest <Jan. 2013>
- 2 great quotations about lead:
“The inordinately stupid & irresponsible handling of lead by our society is undoubtedly one of the worst of societal crimes, with the greatest injury & hence injustice concentrating in the ghetto, on the poor.” – Dr. John W. Gofman, MD, PhD, in "Irrevy” – An Irreverent, Illustrated View of Nuclear Power
“Lead moves us down the stupid scale & doesn’t let us come back.” – Stephen Collette, environmental building consultant & certified building biologist
- Mantras for Today <July 2009>
- Mantras I Live By <March 2012>
- Figuring It Out <Jan. 2013>
- Mantras to Live By <Dec. 2016>
Near-term Extinction, or NTE
- Postings - there are so many of these, I can't list them all here. This is just a smattering, listed chronologically.
- Let's Be Honest <July 2013> This was basically my "coming out" post about NTE.
- Dear Margaret <Nov. 2014>
- What Do We Do Now? <Nov. 2014>
- Flinching <Nov. 2014>
- Epitaphs for Earthlings (2) <Aug. 2015>
- Brace For Impact <Nov. 2015>
- Being Realistic in the Face of NTE <Sept. 2015>
- That Was Then. This is Now <Oct. 2015>
- WOW! <Oct. 2015>
- Keep Flossing! <Aug. 2016>
- Fly on the Wall <Dec. 2016>
- Never Too Late! <Jan. 2017>
- Out in the Open <June 2017>
- While the Shit is Hitting the Fan <July 2017>
- This is Me, Surrendering (& um, Not) <Sept. 2017>
- #WASF #We.Are.Still.Here <Oct. 2017>
- Dénouement <Dec. 2017>
There is a ton of nuke material on my old, original site ... but it all became utterly scattered & disorganized in the switch-over to this one. Sigh. Here is my collection of nuke-related quotes.
- The Old Poops Club <April/09>
- Patriarchy: what a legacy! <May 2/09>
- Collateral Damage: a very short essay <May 2/09>
- Missing the Boat? <May 10/09>
- Stainless Steel Woman? Not. <May 27/09>
- Becoming the Kind Father (review) <Feb. 10/10>
- New Rules, v. 2 (or J & B down on Queen St.) <August 2010>
Men Don’t Apologize <July 2011>
- Patriarchy … again <Feb. 19/14> —— has a simply amazing Matthew Fox poem in it
- Women’s Work <March 2014>
- My First Feminist <June 22/14>
- I am not a stupid woman <Nov. 2014>
Men who pooh-pooh, patronize & pontificate <Dec. 4/15>
#Metoo(2) #PatriarchySucks <Nov. 2017>
Quotation Central is a whole section on the blog. Look up along the top, & click on it. Just tons of great quotations, in many-many categories.
Vaccine posts are all listed nice & neatly, over on the right-hand side of the blog's main page. There are 18-20 of them, now. My favourite of the lot is the Miscellany posting. It's here Vaccines: Miscellany, A - Z. But I'm fond of them all. So much work went into them!? ** just added a page of vaccine quotes.
Posts & quotes related to walking are found here.
A few old favourites...
- Bear Bells (& human nature) <Aug. 2009>
- Brave Face (Not) <Aug. 2010>
- Dysfunctional Families, Dysfunctional World <April 2009>
- Everything is all about ME, right? <March 2009>
- Prison Break <Feb. 2010>
- What We Focus on, Expands <posted April 2009; written in 2006>
Sometimes, you’re stirring up stuff ‘cos you’re trying to fix something. A nuclear mess, say, or … a situation in your personal life with someone close to you.
But sometimes, stirring stuff up just makes it worse. In either of these kinds of cases.
I’ve definitely seen that happen!
Some “messes” are best left alone. Worked around, somehow, I guess. Ignored? Calling a “time-out” on??
So you gotta think kinda carefully before you try to “fix things.” It could be a hornet’s nest. (Sometimes, even a really peaceful attempt to go over circumstances can lead to not-good outcomes. Depends on … well, the individuals involved, hmmm? People can get defensive. Backs can go up. Anger can take over lickety-split… And as I like to say, nothing good happens once the shouting starts!)
As for “making it personal,” it’s ONLY when we make it “personal” that we get anywhere at all with really trying to change things.
Makes perfect sense when you think about it.
We certainly “make it personal” with our families/loved ones! With them, in fact, there may be times we need to work on NOT taking things so personally.
Regarding social justice/environmental matters, in my own little life “pollution” has always seemed “personal.” When I was a little kid, I lived with my family on a lake I was in the habit of swimming in (even when unsupervised, at a too-early age, but that’s another story). When I was six years old, we were told the lake was “polluted.” This was in the very late 1950s; no environmental campaigns were taking place at that time, for sure. We were told not to swim in the lake anymore!
Imagine! Imagine how deeply that lodged in little 6-year old me.
It sure as heck made pollution “personal!”
So did some other things around alcoholism, dysfunctional families, family violence, divorce, racial/religious discrimination, & at least one other environmental issue that was still pretty much under everybody’s radar at the time.
So, here I am now, 30 years into a “career” of activism (& as I write that, what comes to mind is, ONLY 30 years??? Whatever took me so long to get really active?? Sheesh…)
Anyway, 30 years now a shit-disturber, more or less.
A person who believes in (advocates) raising heck.
Noticing situations that call out for change.
& speaking up.
Maybe doing a little more than just speaking up, too, actually.
Making. It. Personal
(Hmmmm. Sometimes we choose to make an issue “personal.” Sometimes, the issue chooses us. Yes??)
Sometimes good things come out of raising shit.
Other times? Not so much, regrettably.
Whether in our “personal lives” – or out in the broader “world.”
Things are pretty dire on the planet.
I am still an advocate for action.
Yup. I definitely, definitely am.
*** Lotsa great quotes about action here